COVID-19 has changed so many things for all families all over the world. How can we help our very young children get through all these changes? Here are some tips we hope can help.
Go easy on yourself.
You’re dealing with a lot. As much as you can:
• Make a daily schedule.
• Stick to routines.
• Get enough sleep.
You may be tired of being together all the time with no breaks. Tempers can get short.
• It’s OK to take a break and catch your breath.
• Call a friend or family member for support.
• Use your child’s nap time to relax. Or have a family “quiet time” every day.
Go easy on your children right now.
With all these changes, even small children can have a hard time. They may be fussy. They might have trouble potty-training right now. They may start to wake up in the night again.
Think about what your child may need.
• They may need extra hugs or a good cry.
• Play games and sing with them.
• Stay calm and give them a stable routine.
• Snuggle with them at bedtime and read them a story.
• Give them the love and attention they need.
We’re in this together.
Call Salud at (831) 728-0222 if you need help. We can:
• Have a Salud counselor talk with your child.
• Talk with you about parenting.
• Help you find food and clothing.
• Help you apply for other benefits.
• Give you the medical care and advice you need.